Many of the people who have been told where I am going have exclaimed that this area is the perfect mission for me. I agree, really I do. However, I am confused at how they know that it is the perfect mission for me. I mean, we believe that God directs the brethren who assign calls in where each missionary is sent, so it must be perfect because God wants me there. But so many people have told me that they think New York is just perfect for me and I'm not seeing how they have come to that conclusion from the time I told them where I was going to the 5 seconds later to when they responded. It may be something I never figure out, but I know that it is the perfect mission for me and here are some reasons why:
- Like I said, God wants me to serve there so it has to be the perfect place.
- I like big cities. New York City is a big city.
- But I also like suburbs. New York has both. Perfect, right?
- I like lots of people. New York has tons of people.
- I like history. New York has a lot of history, both U.S. history and Mormon history.
- I love the Spanish language and Latin people. I get to serve in Spanish (and hopefully be fluent by the time I'm done) and I get to serve the Latin people, who are awesome.
- I've been to New York City twice already, therefore I've already seen the tourist sites. Which is really a good thing because if, for example, I was serving in Peru instead, then I would feel the need to go see Machu Picchu, which really isn't the point of serving a mission.
- I don't need to bring home any souvenir's home from New York because I've already been there. And I tend to be a souvenir lover so this is really good due to the whole limited luggage thing.
- I love other cultures. Like really love. You should see my list of places I want to visit around the world. It doesn't even actually exist because it's so long. But New York probably has one of the biggest mixture of cultures in the world so I'm going to get to meet lots of cool and different people from all sorts of places around the world.
- Ok let's be real, this list could go on for years. It just really is the perfect mission for me and I am so excited!
In case you couldn't tell yet, I am so grateful to have the opportunity to serve the people in New York!! I can't wait to share with them my religious beliefs and hopefully bring individuals to the church so that they can be as happy with life as I am.